Thursday, August 6, 2009

Skins cut, dome detail screws installed

Title says it all.

Before removing the skins, I marked what needed to be cut for the David Shaw power couplers. I used the outer skin's square hole as a template, and marked it with a pencil. Once removed, I have exactly the size I needed to cut. I again used some scrap alu from the skins as a straight edge, and "took the line" as it's said. Basically I cut along the line, rather than just inside it.

Photobucket

The dome is about as shiny as it's going to be I guess...I hit it with 1500 and the polishing ball again yesterday.

Photobucket

I also drilled the mounting holes for the dome details and countersunk them. then I drilled the holes in the detail pieces and mounted them in place. I took some JB Welb and glued the screws in place...gotta wait until tomorrow to sand the goop down a little.

I've also got PVC pipe test caps screwed in place as PSI lenses. They need a little trimming, but they are going to work :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also got the remaining parts that will be blue primered. Probably should have waited to mask and paint the power couplers and octo-ports until they were installed and then removed, so I wouldn't have to wait to drill the holes in the inner skins. Luckily I won't have to glue them in place with the JB weld...they will be installed before the outer skins are put on.

Photobucket

Tiny tiny steps...or slow and steady wins the race, or some crap like that...now that today is "over", 26 more days until DCon...and I'm not really sure what to do next. Depends on the weather...maybe some kridering and painting that spot on the inner dome that's blue. Painting stuff blue seems to be the holdup right now.

I'm thinking either velcro or double sided tape for mounting the electronics in the head.

No comments: