Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blue ring, dome panels and radar eye

Here's a couple of shots of the "finished" blue ring:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Been a lot of discussion about the gaps above and below the ring in the past couple of days, as apparently I'm not the only one to have this issue, far from it in fact.
I'm of the mind that I did the best I could with what I had, and the gaps don't bother me so much. Only another builder would notice, and then only if they were looking at the gaps or for them.

I also got the rest of the dome panels in place:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can tell that the 2 silver panels look very different when compared to the dome, but I think that just adds character. Which is another way of saying I'm not taking them off and sanding them. They will never match exactly, and I like the way they look now.

This afternoon I took off the tape holding the panels and decided this was worthy of some outdoor sunshine pics :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After those pretty pictures, I was inspired to finish it up, so I hot glued the black lens to the back of the radar eye. Oddly enough I didn't have to make a groove for the lens to sit in like I keep hearing so many other builders did, although it probably wouldn't have hurt to have done so.

I also read that when you think you have it in the right place, it's WAY too high up, and the whole thing usually needs to go down 1/2". So I started with that in mind, and it does feel like it's too low to me, but here's the pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

As soon as the silicon holding the front logic surrounds cures completely, I'm going to get everything wired up in the dome. Should be able to get to that tomorrow...

No comments: