Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gluing the dome

Mainly this one's about gluing up the dome....

But before we start, I forgot to repaint the center vent surround when I did all the blue last week, so I did it by itself...it came out pretty good.

Photobucket

Ok, now to gluing the dome:

Here's some test pics before gluing:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lest I forget to mention, I did sand those spots that will show later...


Making sure the top would be centered:

Photobucket

A shot of the gaps I had to deal with:

Photobucket

Here's the silicon applied to the inner dome, but before I smeared it around with a finger or two. You can barely see the faint pencil lines that were my guide to keeping it centered, the bottoms of the pie panels and the tops of the other panels:

Photobucket

Shots of where I clamped the top of the dome:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I let that sit for about a day and a half before moving on to gluing up the edges:

Photobucket

Photobucket

You'll notice I glued up the domes without the inner ring attached.
With the inner ring in place I wouldn't have been able to use most of all of the clamps.
Without the bottom ring, I have to somehow get the inner ring in place and lined up close enough to re-attach it. AND get the blue ring on and get it secured in place. I know it won't fit over the top of the dome, but it will slide out of place just enough to get the screws in place...I hope.

No comments: