Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dome sanding - Day 1

Ok, bit the bullet and started sanding today, as you probably guessed by the title.

Here's some shots after the 180 grit, which was most of the work so far, actually getting rid of the spin lines.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And some shots after the 220 grit:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After that, I ran to the auto parts store and picked up some 600, 1000 and 1500 grits. Shame Lowe's thinks 'Extra Fine' paper means 240 grit...sure would be nice to have the high grits in a hook and loop paper.

I picked up one of the rubber things you're supposed to use for this, to avoid finger marks and stuff too.

Here's some shots after the 600 grit:

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the 600 grit I took the outer dome to the shower in the hall bathroom and washed it thoroughly, then noticed this:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And took it outside for a better look:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty neat eh? Shame I can't figure out a way to make tie dye t-shirts with that on them :)

So as you can see, there's still a lot more sanding left to be done, and as mentioned before, I REALLY wish I could find some high grit papers for my mouse...

No comments: