Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ankles and feet

So if you watched the videos further down the page (YES, GO DO THAT NOW, I"LL WAIT :) ) you probably noticed that Artoo's feet weren't parallel to the ground.

After some measuring, which turned out to be pretty useless, and then some eyeballing, I trimmed the corners of the ankles and the cylinder holders that were keeping the feet crooked.

Some table sander action on the holders, this is an unused one and the one I sanded:
Photobucket

And some hacksaw (I know...scary to even contemplate taking a hacksaw to Artoo, isn't it?) action:
Photobucket

Now they are pretty level, and they aren't getting any leveller, not without cutting the ankle cylinder to go further, and that just ain't gonna happen :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I know the floor is dirty, gimme a break, that's right where I did all that cutting with the hacksaw. It's since been swept.

I also noticed that there was some wiggle in the center ankle, and figured something must be loose. Last night after getting the feet and legs off I took a look, and half the screws were about to fall out. They were just 3/4" wood screws, the kind that came with the hinges, so they came out and went in the junk box. I replaced them with the good old 1/4-20 1" SS Machine screws, lock washers and bolts.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The washers are pulled into the frame, so I doubt it's going anywhere now :)

When I finally put the legs and feet back on, I'll drill the locking pin-hole all the way through the ankle and lock them in place. that will help a lot. I just didn't think it wise to do that yet, just in case they didn't go back together exactly where they were when I locked 'em.

Ok, for clarity and searchability, post break :)

No comments: