Sunday, May 10, 2009

Updates

Let's see, what's new....

Start off with how I fixed the motor mounts to fit inside the footshells. I did this part a couple of Saturdays ago. I got up and cleaned the house, like a responsible person, and then when it was time to play, the power went out. Just how things work I guess. Anyway, while the power was out I had nothing to do, so I got a ruler, the motor holder, the footshell and a sheet of scratch paper and figured out what was necessary to get them all together.

I wound up cutting slightly more than 3/4" on the sides and slightly more than 7/8" across the top (or was it the other way around...I forget) to get the motor moved forward enough to fit inside. Here's a comparison shot:

Photobucket

And with the part I removed:

Photobucket

Top shot:

Photobucket

Both motor holders inside the footshells:

Photobucket

Motor sticking out the side:

Photobucket

Next up was fixing the problem with the bolts that hold the ALU ankle channel onto the motor. The bolts that hold it together were keeping the footshell from fitting correctly. Here's why:

Photobucket

(In that pic you can also see how far forward the motor holder had to be moved forward. I didn't cut the channels down, since they already fit, just had to drill new holes.)

The fix for that was to remove some of the footshell channel like this:

Photobucket

Since this wasn't really pretty, next thing was to fix that...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I haven't glued the sintra caps in yet, much like I haven't cut the battery boxes yet. It's on my to do list, which writing here always helps me keep track of :)

I'm also thinging about the wedges now, and sorted out the 3 different types. Haven't assembled them yet, since I'm not sure if I'll use them, or will instead use a set bolt through the ankle to hold the feet level.

Photobucket

I'll worry about that when I'm closer to having him stand.

Still considering what to do about the center foot and the caster mount that will need to go inside it. Just haven't gotten there yet.

Progress on the dome has come to a comlete halt, since I'm taking people's advice and not cutting the inner dome until I have the resin detail pieces.

Seems like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just don't have enough parts to get there yet.

No comments: