Wednesday, May 13, 2009

More breakage...

Yeah, more broken stuff...one of the outside footshells this time. The A&A stuff comes with 1/4" holes pre-drilled, which would be very convenient if I had 1/4" holes in the motor mount U-channels, and if it all lined up. Let's just go ahead and let you know that none of the above statements are applicable...

So, I decide to drill the holes in the footshells out using my drill press. First one went fine.

On the 2nd one, the drill press snatched the footshell and busted 2 of the U-channel pieces and the top piece off.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course I didn't get mad, what good would that do? I re-glued all of the pieces and filled the inside corners well with CA this time around, and it appears to be holding. Never mind the lines where it broke the paint, I'm past that right now...

Today I picked up the axle bolts, 1/2 x 1-7/16" today at Lowe's, and they almost fit perfectly. Naturally after I assembled it all, I left the leg standing on top of the foot, which had the motor mounted in it, so it fell over when I stepped into the computer room to get tools to tighten down the bolt. Luckily it fell against an ottoman and was just leaning, but that also was enough to split the footshell, in yet more places. And of course, it's the same footshell, I did that on purpose. I figured since it was already damaged and repaired, what was a little more...

Here's where the U-channel is coming loose on the other side (the side that broke in the previous pics held admirably, with it's thick coat of CA).

Photobucket

It's also splitting in a couple of other places, but then again, that's why I bought the extra giant bottle of special-order CA glue...

I've also just found out during this assembly, that the ALU U-channels on top of the motor mounts are going to have to be repositioned. I thought I'd take some pretty pics to post, but when I tried putting the door on, it won't close, because it's got that fancy closure system that the A&A stuff has, and that makes the door too thick, so it hits the motor mount. I'm not sure what that's going to do to the holes I've already cut in to footshells for the motor to stick out of, or the battery boxes, which I still haven't cut (and might not already fit).

Seems like I dont' get to make new stuff these past few weeks, just re-make eveything that's been made...

No comments: