Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Uh-oh...

So here's something I didn't post about when it happened....

About a month ago, I was working on the electronics, trying to figure out why Artoo was going spastic from time to time. If you were reading this around that time, you may recall I mentioned that part of it.

What I left out was the part where during the many wiring changes I made, I somehow ran 12v into the left motor out wires. After about 20 seconds with this incorrect connection, there was a loud popping noise, much nasty smelly smoke, and actual flames. Yes, that's right, Artoo was on fire!

Naturally, my fuses didn't blow, because they weren't anywhere near where the problem was.

Luckily as soon as it popped I started snatching wires, starting with the wires from the battery. I also managed to get all the other wires disconnected and get the flames blown out in practically no time flat.

After much cursing and yelling, I timidly reconnected the speed controller and the lights appeared to work the same as they had before. There was still the matter of all that smoke and fire though...

Today I cut the holes in the leg pipe joining thingy that let the wires pass through the shoulders into the legs. After I made the wires that go through the pipe, I set the feet upside down on top of the frame and connected everything.

Nothing worked.

After reconnecting the right motor, it began to work. I applied judicial use of the volt-meter, and no voltage comes out of the left motor connection. :(

So, now I have to order another dual channel speed controller. The more I read, the more I think the Scorpion XL might have been under-powered and might have caught fire even without my stupidity...it's description says "for small robots in the one to twelve pound class"...Artoo's left foot weighs that much.

So this time I'm thinking about going with the SaberTooth 2x25. It's description says "up to 100lbs in combat or 300lbs for general purpose robotics". It's $5 whole dollars more, but I save $4 in shipping, so it winds up costing a whole dollar more than the Scorpion...

Still, burns me up to make a $125 mistake that could have been easily prevented with just a little more attention.

Oh, and it's been raining for the past 2 days, and will do so until this weekend, so I'll have to wait to paint the vents.

No comments: