Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mounting the ankle cylinders and related stuff

So, you may know (or not, now you do) that the A&A ankles have keyholes built into them, 3 sets, one for the wedges, 1 for the cylinders, and 1 for the holders. Problem is, they didn't work for me. It's possible had I somehow figured out a way NOT to mount Keith's Beefy Ankles before I started painting that I might have been able to start with the holder, then the cylinder, then the wedge, then the ankle. We all know I didn't...

So I had to puzzle out a way to securely mount all the pieces into one AND mount them to the ankle securely.

I started by countersinking some pockets through the wedge into the cylinder:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next up I countersunk another pocket straight through the bottom of the cylinder, where it SHOULD be unseen:

Photobucket

And the holder isn't off center. I was holding the camera crooked so it just looks that way...or it was at a funny angle...or something like that...


Lastly, I used the backside of the cylinder, where it overlaps the ankle as the mount point. This involved a lot of very tedious, tiny, careful drilling with the drillpress turned sideways to the base to allow for more height. It's probably dangerous to turn the whole thing sideways to the base, so don't say I didn't tell you if something bad happens...

Anyway, here's how small the holes are, and how close to the edge of the ankle:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Those pics are pretty close up, I dont' believe any of the holes will be visible, unless you are looking for them :) What's that rule, 50 feet?

anyway, gotta figure out what I got on my fingers from the drill press that made ugly black marks on my beautiful shiny blue:

Photobucket


Here's the list of things I've got coming for the body:
WaterSet center vents - paid and received
Sherrell skins - paid
Womo side vents - paid
Dave Shaw power couplers - on the list.

Wish list:
Womo's pocket vents
Womo's coin returns
Dave Shaw's coin slots
Dave Shaw's octo-ports.

I've already got resin arms from Keith, that should leave only the LDP to decide, resin or Alu.

I'll worry about the dome when it gets here...next week or the week after :D

No comments: