Friday, April 18, 2014

Shopping lists

Ok, since I've been working a little faster than I probably should have gluing all the plastic, I decided to let it cure for a couple of days, and work on my list of electronics parts.

I've got several 'extra' 12V batteries, some in particular that R2 can't use due to the shape that'll be repurposed here.

I can cross the RigRunner power distribution off the list, since I had an "extra" left over from when I changed R2's system over from Spektrum to PS2 wireless.  It also has 2 USB ports that will power the Arduino and the MP3 trigger.

Speaking of those two pieces, about 3 weeks ago, SparkFun Electronics had "Arduino day" on a Saturday, all their boards were on sale 40% off.  I picked up 2 Arduino UNOs and their MP3 trigger board.

I hit Amazon in a big way yesterday, and picked up a bunch of the parts I'm going to need.  that list included:
  • 1 right angle USB cable to use powering the Arduino
  • 1 Futaba S148 servo for the ears
  • 1 linear conversion kit for the Futaba servo
  • 1 set of servo horns for moving the ears
  • 1 set of servo linkage rods for connecting the servo to the servo horns
  • 3 12v-6v stepdown converters for powering the servos from the RigRunner
  • 1 2-channel 5V relay module for powering the antenna that will be the scanner
  • 1 12V auto audio amplifier for the sound
  • 1 set of 3.5" speakers for sound (what else would they be for?)
  • 1 PS2 controller extension cable for splitting out the signal from the wireless receiver to the Arduino

I also ordered a SaberTooth 2x25 speed controller from Dimension Engineering, having used that one in R2. Their customer service is top notch. They are very friendly and easy to work with, in the event that you ever have to contact them.

All of that stuff should be showing up next week, so I'll have plenty of new toys to play with.

Today I went shopping at the hobby store and the office supply store, and picked up the stuff to make ears with.  Brass tubing, pencil cup, that kind of thing.  Also picked up some 2mm styrene sheets, since the A&A kit doesn't come with much scrap for improvising.

My outstanding list for electronics is currently:
  • control panel light system
  • drive motors, wheels, belts, axles and such
  • servos for the head and tail
  • PS2 wireless controller/receiver
Doesn't look like much, but there's some learning and coding to go along with all the rest of that stuff.
That was one advantage of the Spektrum park flyer style setup.  All you had to do was plug the wires into the right places, make sure black and red weren't mixed up and you were ready to go.

The PS2 setup is much easier to hide though, since it's the one small controller.  It's way more fun to be anonymous and let everyone wonder who's driving, or even better let them think it's autonomous :)

Tomorrow I'll check GameStop for the controller, hopefully they'll have one and it'll be on sale since it's old tech :)

That's all for now...see you next update!




No comments: