Monday, June 8, 2009

Tragedy, yet again!

So, last post, my inner skins are cut and painted.

I remounted the inner skins to the frame, thinking it was a good time to drill the holes for the rear door, now that it was cut loose.

Problem is, the rear door doesn't open now.

The skins are centered on the frame, and the door is where it's made to be. There's no way the door could be off center, because everything is pre-drilled, all you do is put it together.

Photobucket


Problem is, the door is 1/8" too far to the left.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Those pictures were a pain to take too, holding the tape measure still with one hand while focusing the camera for a closeup with the other...

The pencil line on the door frame is where it sits when behind the skins.

I guess the only course of action for me is to remove the rear inner skin, measure slightly more than 1/8" and cut the left side further open.

Not looking forward to that, and have asked for ideas on the Astromech Boards, but haven't gotten any replies yet.

While I was watching the post for replies, I finished cutting the outer skins, and have filed the skin itself, but not the detail pieces I removed.

I'd hoped to get those primed tonight, so I could paint them tomorrow, but the whole door business kinda got it the way, and I spent too long pondering possible solutions...

Maybe tomorrow someone who also has an A&A frame and Sherrell skins will have spoken up to prove I'm not a moron who did it wrong :/

And now, you're up to speed, for today at least.

No comments: