Friday, October 28, 2011

JAG FEET!!!

So, after 22 months of waiting, I finally have my JAG steel feet in hand!

They came well packed, and are fairly heavy. They will most likely be able to handle the punishment that I dish out to my R2's feet :)

They were sprayed down with some sort of WD-40 type grease spray, they bagged in plastic, separated by cardboard and packing peanuts.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Included were detail panels for the sides of all the feet.

Photobucket

Started off with the JAG recommended warm water and dish soap bath. This removed the still liquid grease, but there were lots of places where the grease had umm, coagulated? Maybe dried is a better word for that. My first thought was to sand it off, that didn't work, the dried grease was sticky and loaded up from the metal dust almost immediately.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next solution was much more effective. I got out the ol' gallon can of acetone and poured myself a small bowl. I cut the arm off of a t-shirt (in fact, the same t-shirt that's been chopped up to make the poor man's fiberglass that I used to reinforce the A&A feet) and with a fairly easy washing, all the sticky is now gone.



Up next: Primer.

No comments: