Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Work work work...:)

Start off with a problem...apparently the motor mounts I built don't fit a normal battery box. The designer told me when I asked, that he built non-standard battery boxes that were 1 1/2" longer than standard. That might've been a good thing to know beforehand, but I'm focusing on the solution, not the problem.

Here's some pics that'll give you an idea what I mean:
Photobucket

Photobucket

In these pictures, the pencil line you can see is where the edge of the battery box will be on the outside of the foot. You can also see how the motor is going to be between 3/4" and 1" too far back. Right now, my options are to either build new battery boxes that will fit it, or try to cut down the front side of the motor holder so that the whole thing will move forward far enough to fit properly. I'm leaning towards the latter...

Also last week I got those little silver details on the booster covers and leg grooves painted. It's not the best by a long shot, since I'm not very good with a little brush, so we'll be applying the 50' rule whenever someone wants to comment.

Photobucket

It wound up taking me 3 days to "de-slag" the dome panels, and another 3 days to sand down the spin lines on the panels. Hopefully it the sanding wasn't a waste of time.
Anyway, got those primed like, Monday I think:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tuesday I gave them a light 440 grit sanding, a good wipedown and commenced the "kridering"...here's after the first coat of blue:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And after the clear coat. This time I jsut kept clear coating until I ran out, which turned out to be 3 and a half coats.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this effect:

Photobucket

The way it's almost black it's so dark from certain angles.

More fun stuff coming up in the next post, which will be up shortly!

No comments: