Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dome and feet work

Start with the not so interesting stuff...

After the 4th coat of primer and 3rd time filling little holes/gaps on the feet, I think it's time to apply the 50 foot rule and get them white tomorrow so I can cut them up...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also realized sometime last week that I hadn't made enough foot strips, and that the ones with the holes in them were too long, so I had to shorten the ones I'd made previously by about 1/2 ", and used them as a template for the others:

Photobucket

On dome progress, I removed all the little scrap filler pieces:
Photobucket

and using the small hacksaw you can see in the pictures (conveniently placed, right?), removed all of the panels:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I spent pretty much 2 days removing the slag from the laser cutting procedure so that the outer dome and the dome ring would fit back on the inner dome without scratching it all to hell
Photobucket

Photobucket

Tonight during Biggest Loser, one of my favorite shows, I'll remove the slag from all the panels and get them laid out for painting. Not sure when I'll get around to that (hopefully this weekend, or sooner)...

I've also got to decide how much sanding, if any at all I plan to do on the dome. I really like the brushed look that the spin lines give it, but there are already some scratches, and I've seen some mirror finish ones up close too, and they sure are pretty...

No comments: