Monday, December 1, 2008

Oh, as a side note to the previous post, I think I figured something out about the "LPJT".

I'm having trouble getting a single pipe that will fit between the 2 galvanized floor flanges.

Apparently when you thread a pipe, the threads are tapered. Not so much that you'd notice, unless you were trying to thread a flange that quite also might possibly have tapered threads as well onto it.

Basically, my measurement was 14 1/16" between the flanges. I had the very stressed little man at Lowe's leave 14" between the threads when he made the pipe for me. Since I can't thread the flange all the way to the end of the pipe, that just plain doesn't work.

I plan on going to Ace Hardware (Since it's usually old dudes who like a challenge and seeing if they can fix it. My money says yes, although I might have to buy a 3/4" tap and die that I'd never use again....

Anyway, that was important enough to mention since I spent 7 hours Friday working on it. Maybe THIS is why 2 pipes is the common method...

No comments: